Friday, April 3, 2009

Instead of a mini-review.

So, I didn't watch any new movies again this week. Whoopsy. But, I did play and beat a game this past weekend called Clock Tower 3 for the Playstation 2, so, I'll talk about that a little here, eh?

So, to start with, it's a pretty short game. First playthrough was about five or six hours. It doesn't feel long either, it definitely feels short as you're playing through it. The story moves quickly. And it's probably shorter if you don't get stuck wandering around and dying like I did at a couple points.

Which works as a natural segue into my next point that it's a pretty easy game. I know I just said I got stuck, but, those were mostly my own fault because I had not explored thoroughly or I simply didn't notice something. There's only one moment I can think of in the game where it's not immediately apparent you're supposed to interact with a part of the environment, but that's it. The only difficult part, really, can be the combat.

I don't know if it's me or the controls, but it took me a little while to get used to it. Once you get the hang of the battle controls, though, [which I did after the second battle] it's incredibly simple, even for the final battle [that one's time consuming, though.]

What else can I say about this game... it ranges from mediocre to bad, really. Though, bad in a way that you can laugh at, like some of the voice-acting, of course, but also some of the character movement in the cutscenes. Alyssa, the main character whom you control throughout the game, reacts in some strange ways to her fear, it's quite comical.

That brings me to another point, maybe it's just because it's a somewhat older game and it takes more to scare me, but, there are very few scary parts. There's definitely some tense moments where you'll wonder if you're going to get caught. And, I don't want to take everything from the game, there are some startle-scares when someone jumps out at you. But that's all, which could be attributable to its brevity.

To close out, it's not likely to be replayed much either, unless you fall in love with the story. You unlock some costumes once you've beaten the game. Most of which are somewhat risque, and all show some skin. Oh, did I mention these are for your fourteen-year-old character, no less? Yeah, another bit of, I imagine unintentional, hilarity. And if you play through again on your Cleared save, the game's difficulty is bumped up. As far as I know, though, there's nothing to be gained by completing this harder playthrough, so, unless you're a gamer who plays for the challenge, there's not much incentive. And yeah, that's it. Kind o' fun for the six or seven bucks I got it for, but I certainly wouldn't recommend it unless you can get it dirt cheap as well.

2 comments:

Mr. Grape said...

I don't have anything to say about the game, as i've never played it, but it does make me think that there needs to be a really campy, cheesy, over the top b-game made some point!

Sixty X Celph said...

Ohhh, believe you me, sir, they make them. They totally make them.