Saturday, October 18, 2008

Mini-Reviews 12

Whoops, it's technically Saturday now.



The Happening-- I love M. Night Shyamalan's films, the ones I've seen. Well shot, great stories, interesting characters. The problem is that he's always expected to have some great twist. That's always the complaint I hear most, "The ending sucked" or "It was a weak twist". And there's not really a twist at all. The idea, what's behind "the happening", is presented early on. The problem is that while the idea itself is terrifying, it's ridiculous watching people run away from wind in a field of grass. This probably would have worked better as a novel, something not so visual. But, I enjoyed it. Mark Wahlberg's good stuff, though to be honest I wouldn't consider this anywhere near his best work. Anyway, I think I spotted Brian O'Halloran drivin' the red jeep, am I wrong?


Hard Candy-- Great movie, I've really grown to love Ellen Page since watching Juno, she's an awesome actress. It's an interesting little thriller sort o' mystery film about a 14-year-old girl who flips the script on someone she believes to be a pedophile with some interesting twists along the way. Really good.


Iron Man-- ... seriously, what do you want to hear from me? It's a good film, see it! Most of the changes made from the original material are understandable, although there were some that made no sense to me, but, somehow the movie's good enough that I forgave them. If you're like me and were waiting for it to release and be available for rent, well, see it!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i might buy ironman would you reccomend it?

Mavrek48 said...

Good reviews man. I have been waiting to hear something on the Happening. I enjoyed Iron Man, my problem was that people around me were telling me I may like it more than The Dark Knight. That...was flat out wrong. But still a very enjoyable movie but maybe in my opinion a little overrated.

Mavrek48 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.