Friday, August 1, 2008

Mini-Reviews 05

I'm runnin' a little late with this one...


Hack!-- Decent acting, nice gore, interesting story-line though mildly predictable with a twist or two, and funny at certain points. Audio quality gets a little wonky sometimes, though, and everything'll sound tinny for no discernible reason. I dunno if it's just the copy of the DVD I watched or what. I found it entertaining, though. It's worth a rent, I'd say.


Day Zero-- Excellent film. I enjoy the story arcs and seeing how the news that they've been drafted to war just destroys a couple of the characters. Elijah Wood's character in particular, to me, is the most interesting.

Aliens Vs. Predator: Requiem-- It's an okay film, I guess. Not terribly good, though. It could have definitely used some better lighting. I get it, dark and gritty, but, that was just ridiculous, you can barely see a lot of the time. It feels extremely rushed for a lot of it, as well. Up until, like, the last 20 minutes. The predalien's still wicked cool.


Undead or Alive-- A self-proclaimed "zombedy". It's pretty funny. Morbid ending to both story-lines. Interesting seeing Chris Kattan in a film again, anyhow. And Navi Rawat is hot. (^_^) Special effects kind o' sucked, though, particularly at the end. The whip sound effect every time it cut back and forth from the town was unnecessary, too. Hell, the whole side-story with the Padre seemed entirely useless to the rest of the film. Just made it longer. But don't miss the bloopers during the credits!


P2-- Very good movie. Typical thriller fare, but, what's wrong with that? And, it's well executed. Except the taser bit. Shocking you in the side isn't likely to knock you out, I don't think. Wes Bentley was awesome, as always.


First Sunday-- S'all right. Not terribly funny, but, has its moments. Kind of an uninspired script, as well. But, it's the least irritating performance I've seen of Katt Williams, so, that's a plus. It's not bad.


Sex and Breakfast-- Another all right movie. It's interesting seeing the problems the two couples are having and how the "therapy" affects them differently in the end. Anyone else ever look at Macaulay Culkin and think he's older than 13 or 14? He always looks like a kid pretending to be an adult to me.


Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer-- I try to watch a comic book movie without thinking about the things that will be changed. Some things just don't work as well in film as they do in the comics. I understand that. But some things are changed so arbitrarily in both the first film and this sequel that it just annoys the shit out of me, and I'm not even a huge fan of the Silver Surfer and even less of the Fantastic Four. It's an all right superhero movie, though, if you're not familiar with the comics at all. Anticlimactic end, though.


Sleepwalking-- Very good film. AnnaSophia Robb is a delightful young actress, Dennis Hopper is always cool and always plays a good bad guy, Nick Stahl does a terrific job, and the rest of the cast ain't exactly slouches. Very tragic story, but it has its lighthearted, feel-good moments.


Die Hard 2-- Yeah, I know, I'm nearly 20 years late to the party. I liked the first one better, I think Bruce Willis' performance was stronger in the first one. Beyond that, some cool explosions, some twists here and there in an interesting plot that's quite similar to the first one in structure. The movie came out in 1990 [I think], you should know by now what it's like, haha.

1 comment:

Mavrek48 said...

Was always interested in P2 but thought it may be just another generic movie. May check it out now, thanks Sixty