Friday, August 8, 2008

Mini-Reviews 06

Bone Eater-- Not good. More boring than anything else. Decent enough acting for the most part and the Bone Eater looks cool, but, not scary, and the animations for his movement are laughable. It looks like they animated him to be a puppet or something. Also, I'm not an expert on Native American mythology, but, I don't recall the Bone Eater being so malignant. He just ushered the dead along to the afterlife [I think, I'm a little fuzzy on the details].


Numb-- Lynn Collins is a delightful actress [and hot] and Matthew Perry is at his finest in this film, quite possibly my favorite role of his I've seen. Wonderful film, I love it.


Timber Falls-- Fairly typical and cliché thriller/slasher fare. Creepy locals, false scares, sexy sex scene, misleads, fanatical religious folk... but, as a fan of slasher films, I enjoyed it and recommend it for any other slasher fans. (^_^) Great acting, good story, just don't expect anything innovative. Be prepared to know exactly what's comin', haha.


Monster High-- Cheesy comedy "horror" film about the end of the world being decided by a basketball game. Fairly entertaining.


The Air I Breathe-- Much like Crash, the film's a collection of vignettes that are all interconnected. Instead of having a central theme of racism, the central theme of these stories is about finding happiness in life and the troubles people go through to find it. Star-studded cast, I'd say it's definitely worth seeing, if only to see the character Brendan Fraser plays. I was skeptical at first, because I just don't see him in darker, tough guy roles, but, he does a great job.


The Messengers-- Fine enough, I suppose, though there's plenty I didn't like about it. At least one of the two twins who played little Ben was a phenomanal actor and there were some genuinely creepy parts. But overall, there's just too much I disliked and too much I questioned. The seemingly random inclusion of crows annoyed me, I just don't find blackbirds inherently terrifying. And some of the scenes were cut far longer than I feel they needed to be. I can only assume they were supposed to be dragging out the suspense, but, it just irritated me. My dislike of the film is nigh solely based on my personal preference, though, it's a well-made film otherwise.

No comments: