Sunday, September 28, 2008

Mini-Reviews 11

I don't have a good excuse for not posting this until Sunday afternoon. I was out all Friday afternoon and a good part of the night, but, I could have posted it in the morning. Yesterday and today? Just forgot. >_<


The Forbidden Kingdom-- Let's be honest, anytime Jackie Chan breaks out the Drunken Boxing it's awesome. And I've been wanting a Jet Li/Jackie Chan film for as long as I've been watching the two stars. Add to this that I love the legend of the Monkey King and it may be that I had high expectations and hopes for this film. The action sequences are cool. The plot isn't terrific, but, it's serviceable for what it is. The characters are amusing, albeit a little childish. Most of the movie seems to be geared more towards kids, ten- or eleven-year-olds, rather than adults, actually. I'm not sure if that's how it was meant to be seen, but, viewed as such, I think it's pretty good. Fun little kung-fu movie for preteens, though I've never been particularly fond of wire-fu.


August-- I went into this knowing nothing except that it starred Josh Hartnett and was about a man's dot-com spiraling down. I think it's a terribly interesting look at the life of this fictional character at the moment, and it's well-acted with a wonderful cast of people. But... it's kind of boring. And it doesn't really have a resolution it kind o' just ends. Worth seeing once, I suppose, if you can find it cheap.


First Blood-- There's a reason it's a classic, people. Plus, I hate dickhead cops, so, the fact that that's whom Rambo is fuckin' with is great for me. I always thought it was a war movie, though, so it was a surprise when I learned otherwise. And the end is really good, excellent performance from Stallone, I loved it.

1 comment:

Mavrek48 said...

First Blood I have never seen, always been interested in it but older movies have always scared me, i dunno. I'll definitely be more inclined to buy it now. Thanks Sixty