Sunday, April 27, 2008

Initial Thoughts on Mario Kart Wii

I'm just gonna discuss the gameplay here and now. If I can ever get some of my backlog of vids done and do a full review for Mario Kart Wii, I'll discuss other aspects.

First thought? Frustrating.

Where the fuck did those blue shells of death come from? Now, I haven't played a Mario Kart game since the SNES, so it's not surprising that I may have missed some new items along the way, but, seriously... what the fuck is that all about?

I'm also not impressed by the bikes. They look and play fine enough, but for anything more serious that some quick races with friends the karts are the way to go.

Now, that's just initial thoughts. On further examination, the game's not bad in small doses. Much like Super Smash Bros. Brawl, there's an immense number of ways to play the game which I am all for, personally. Sometimes a game's just better with a standard controller. With that said, the Wii Wheel is fun for short and simple games with a friend. It's nifty, it's new, it's gimmicky. And it works fairly well. Gamecube controller is better for playing the more difficult circuits, though.

And, Mr. Grape, it's true, there is a barrage of items thrown around. More than once I would find myself smashed by a red shell, followed by a bob-omb explosion or one of those POW items, then finally one of those accursed blue shells. That puts me far behind. And it's really fucking annoying.

I'll reiterate that it's fun in short doses, though. But, I think I'll be getting more play out of my copy of Resident Evil 4 I finally bought while I was there to pick up Mario Kart Wii. At least, once I've unlocked all the karts and characters.

3 comments:

Mr. Grape said...

Wow... i have no idea if i'll be picking this one up now. :/

I guess i'll just get Mario Kart DS instead.

Sixty X Celph said...

Don't necessarily take my word for it. But, if it's just another bad view of the game amongst many, well, that sucks.

AS I said, I dunno how the game's have progressed since the SNES days, so, this might be just another addition to the series as of late, so, maybe Mario Kart DS isn't any better, haha.

Shepdawg25 said...

I actually am loving the hell out of this game. I agree with the weapons and shit being thrown way to much, but I'm pretty happy, granted I've only played for a good 2 hours, because of my sick spell last night, but I've had fun. You bring great points to the table though, I enjoyed your post.