Friday, July 11, 2008

Mini-Reviews 01

I've decided to bring the mini-reviews I used to do in my vids to my blog instead. So, once I've got several of them built up, I'll post them here. It won't be anything terribly in-depth, usually, it'll just be some basic thoughts and whether I think it's good or bad. So, let's get started!

Broken Flowers-- Excellent film, except for the ending. Funny and heartfelt, with a very indie feel to the shots and editing.

Doll Graveyard-- Not good. Kind o' bad, in fact. Mostly good acting, but some questionable plot points and some irritatingly unrealistic CG effects, but not many. It's fairly contrived and uninspired, as far as plots go. Maybe Charles Band needs to just the evil puppet films go, ey?

Hatchet-- Excellent film, I had planned a vid or it, but, having issues with that... I may end up just posting it onto my blog if it takes too long to get a new mic.

Meet The Spartans-- Kind o' funny, but overall fairly banal. Some cool cameo-type parts, though. But, when and why did Carmen Electra start doing so many spoof movies?

Juno-- Amazing film! Anyone who does not like this must not have a heart. Funny, quirky, and sad. It made me cry, and there haven't been very many new films that have such an effect on me! And the song in the very last scene is just lovely.

Sweeney Todd-- Excellent film, though I felt it was a bit slow in the beginning. And, as much of an auteur as Tim Burton is, I felt that the way they did the blood, at least as far as the color is concerned, was ridiculous. Just looked stupid. It was nice to hear Johnny Depp sing, though. (^_^)

One Missed Call-- Read the blog immediately before this one. I'll restate it, though; it's a bad movie.

Jumper-- I don't understand why people give this film such a bad rap. It's really pretty damn good, though I'm not a big fan of Hayden Christensen when he pretends to be angry. Jamie Bell's pretty awesome, though. But the plot makes sense, the action scenes are pretty awesome. Best moment in the film is when Griffin (Jamie Bell) is jumping repeatedly at Roland (Samuel L. Jackson) and screaming in rage. Very intense, very cool moment in the film. The ending kind o' sucks, and the film as a whole feels somewhat rushed, but, it's a good movie.


That's it for now. I've gotten into renting movies from Red Box again, so, there're definitely more on the way. I've got The Eye [which I'm watching right now, actually], Mr. Brooks, Strange Wilderness, and Cloverfield at the moment.

1 comment:

Mavrek48 said...

I like the mini reviews. I agree with you on Sweeney Todd the blood was a little odd but I guess that's what Burton was going for. Also Jumper looked cool to me to, glad to finally hear someone give it a decent rating. May check it out now.