Thursday, July 24, 2008

Mini-Reviews 04

Day of the Dead (2008)-- I love zombie movies, especially gory ones. This film's good and gory, but, I'm not particularly fond of the zombies in this film. First of all, the instantaneous deterioration of the flesh seems absurd to me. And while I prefer the faster variety of zombies as opposed to the slow, shambling, weak kind... super-speed and super-strength and super-froggy jumping abilities... not into that. Not the best kind o' zombie film, but, still pretty cool. Plot? It's a zombie movie! Zombie oubreak, people try to survive it. There you go, haha. Decent acting, as well. Zombie movies are about carnage, and that's in abundance. I sincerely request that Ving Rhames be in every zombie movie ever made from now on.


Grizzly Park-- Bunch of annoying city kids are taken into Grizzly Park to perform community service and clean the parks. What they don't know is there is an escaped serial killer [though he's really just a mass murderer and rapist, not a serial killer by definition] on the loose! And grizzly bears and wolves whom are, inexplicably, hungry for human flesh! And their campmates are irritating stereotypes of various kinds of douchebags and cocksuckers! The acting's really not that bad, editing is nice, some shots are downright beautiful, it's a nice park and all, but, the story's ridiculous and I really don't care about any of the kids being eaten alive. Ending was good, though, nice little twists.


30 Days of Night-- Awesome film! I was a bit sketchy on it at the beginning, because there were, at least in my opinion, some questionable editing decisions. But that was my one and only gripe. Bunch of actor's whom I love, fantastic story, and a powerful ending. Great movie.


Freedom Writers-- I thoroughly enjoy these movies. Troubled teenage dramas. I love them, for one simple reason: I'm a wannabe white boy who wants to feel like he connect with troubled youth. (^_^) Even so, this is a good film, very touching.


The Tattooist-- The plot and some of its points are kind of silly [like the gangsta Somoans in New Zealand who channel spirits via fast cars and loud rap music]. I'm also not really a fan of Jason Behr as an actor. But, it's still a pretty interesting story, and there's lots of wicked tats roamin' around to enjoy.


The Darjeeling Limited-- I'm not sure what to say about this film... It's not bad, really, but... it just kind o' meanders from point to point. It's a very indie film. It's got a few hilarious moments, like when they're fighting on the train. But, it's just kind o'... boring. But, I oddly like it... (o.0) I'm torn. I can tell you that I don't like the short film that's kind of a prelude to this whole movie.


Smiley Face-- Low budget stoner comedy. It's all right. It's packed full of hilarious people in one role after another. Unfortunately, the time in between each wonderful cameo's kind of boring, which kind of brings it down. I get the sense it would be much funnier if you were actually really wasted while watching it, but, it's all right.


Meet Bill-- Really good, very funny movie about a guy going through mid-life crisis, basically. He realizes he's not happy in his marriage, he's not happy at his job, hell, he's not even happy with his appearance, and the film follows him as he figures these things out. I'd recommend seeing this one, it's good stuff.


The Hottie and the Nottie-- Please tell me there are not people who actually think Paris Hilton's hot... ugh. She does an excellent job of playing a stupid as hell woman, though. For some reason, she's some kind of Mr. Miyagi; she's always spoutin' stupid as hell little one-liner pseudo-philosophical bullshit. Joel David Moore's awesome. He's the best part of this film. Him and the albino stalker, haha. June's an awesome character, she's funny, and I feel bad for her at times. She's also got an extremely pleasant voice. Couldn't tell you why I noticed that, but, I did. If you can find it really cheap to rent [I rented it from Redbox, that's a dollar a day, nice and cheap!] check it out, there are good parts and it's kind o' funny. I wouldn't recommend paying too much, though.


Batman: Gotham Knight-- "Have I Got A Story For You"
Don't dig the art style, but, it's cool seein' the differing mind's eye view of Batman from the eyes of a bunch o' kids in Gotham.
"Cross Fire"
The art's greatly improved over the first episode! The idea of an island as an asylum is very cool. Batman also looks very cool.
"Field Test"
Not a fan of this style of Bruce Wayne. Too pretty-boy. Extremely animé interpretation of Batman, though I dig the over-the-shoulder emblem thing he's got goin' on.
"In Darkness Dwells"
I'm unsure why Killer Croc is treated as a new villain, but, right on.
"Working Through Pain"
It's always cool seein' backstory on a beloved character.
"Deadshot"
Also an art style I don't dig. Nice seeing Deadshot, though.

Overall, not too bad. I dislike some of the art styles, but, the vignettes are so short you don't have to live with them long. The idea's cool, but, unlike the Animatrix, it's not building on a particularly unknown universe. Interesting idea, but, not that great.


The Dark Knight-- Awesome. And terribly, terribly sad. One of the most prominent things in my mind the whole time I'm watching Heath Ledger is that the motherfucker's dead. Best performance he's done, and he's dead. (>_<) Fuckin' bullshit. Why can't, like, Lindsay Lohan die? Great, great movie. I gotta say, though, that Batpod thing... looks silly as hell. Does this mean they can bring the Batmobile in finally? Also, if they make another Batman movie with the Joker still present using a different actor, I'm gonna be pissed.


Twin Daggers-- Not very good acting mostly. Story's kind of generic and at times silly. Some okay fights, but mostly just crap with bad wire stunts and sped-up film. And bad stunt doubling. Not a good film in my opinion.


The Ruins-- Entertaining, so long as you go along with it and suspend disbelief. Didn't care much for the ending, except for Jonathan Tucker's performance, though.

1 comment:

Mavrek48 said...

I've been looking for Freedom Writers everywhere. That movie peaked my interest. You just reinforced that interest so I hope I can find it. Keep the minis coming. Love em.