Saturday, July 4, 2009

Inebriation and Trustworthiness

Let us take a moment and consider a correlation betwixt inebriation and trustworthiness, insofar as I am concerned.

My trust can sometimes be finicky. At least, in how I decide whom to trust and how much to trust them. It would be incorrect to say that it is difficult for me to trust people, because there are some instances where I feel comfortable enough to trust someone nigh entirely nigh immediately. But, it would also be incorrect to say that I trust people easily. There are some instances where I never trust a person. It's case-by-case, and largely a subconscious decision, to begin with. It can be altered by actions in the course of a relationship, usually to the detriment of my level of trust in the person.

Alcohol. Can be tasty, but, too much can cause a lowering or utter lack of inhibitions. Or, substandard judgment. Perhaps one could go so far as to say alcohol lowers morality? However you phrase it, it does that for a time. A relatively short period of time; a day at most.

But, in that period of time, my trust in a person, even if it's utter and nigh complete, dwindles to nothing. I do not feel I can trust someone to be the person I know. I do not feel I can trust someone to not hurt themselves. I do not feel I can trust someone to not hurt other people. I do not feel I can trust someone to remain faithful.

And that's the correlation betwixt inebriation and trustworthiness. As level of inebriation rises, level of trustworthiness lowers. As far as I am concerned, anyway.

And that's one problem I have with people getting drunk. I'll have to explain what constitutes being called drunk in my opinion, as opposed to tipsy and all that, since it seems to differ person to person. But, that'll have to be another time.

1 comment:

Lei said...

I have a feeling there was a reason for this... =/