Thursday, July 2, 2009

Breaking News: People are still shit.

Every now and again I'll try following the news again; I'll start reading the newspaper, reading articles on the Newsfeed on my Wii, that sort of thing. It never lasts long, though, because invariably I come across some piece of news that just pisses me the fuck off. Some rape, some murder, some abuse, some terrible combination of the three. And all my resolve to keep up with the news dissolves. Always happens, usually within a couple days. The longest I've managed to go without coming across such a story is a week.

So, I started again over this past weekend, and, lo and behold, on the 29th, in my local paper, there ran this story: 26-year-old man kidnaps and attempts to rape six-year-old girl. I'd love to link you, but, you can feel free to look up whatever details you can find about dear old Justin Shine of Massachusetts.

Yep. My hate for people remains strong. And now, because I started thinking about that again, my thoughts have turned quite dark for the day.

I've been reading a Kurt Vonnegut book called Cat's Cradle, and there's a method of capital punishment that I am currently inclined to agree with. It's simply called "the hook", and how it works is you pierce a person's stomach, from one side to the other, on a large hook and then you hang them from it, face-up, until they die. Maybe I'm just a violent person, but, I rather like the sound of that when I'm in one of these moods.

Let's hope my thoughts and mood improve before this evening.

No comments: